Is 60 the new 30? 40?

Here's a #tbt post from February of 2014. I recently saw Christie Brinkley in anew commercial and she looks the same so she is doing something right!

Check out this week's edition of People Magazine and you will see an amazing picture of ubermodel Christie Brinkley on the cover, with a article about her and her life inside the mag. This woman is 60 years old and is wearing a bathing suit on the cover of a national magazine and looks like ten million bucks.  I know women in their thirties - beautiful women - who don't look as good as she does at 60. I don't want to hear from anyone about air brushing, computer pixal fixation, or anything else negative. This chick looks great!  She embodies the notion that if you live healthy, you will look and feel healthy.
 She is a strong vegetarian/vegan ( something I am not, nor can I ever be) and she is devoted to exercise, taking care of her skin, and generally espousing the happiness dictum: if you feel good, look good,  take care of yourself, and act happy, you will be all those things.

This woman has had her share of negative press and unhappy events. Life hasn't been a total bed or roses for her. But she manages to push through and maintain her happy psyche.

I think it is extremely important during this time of our lives, when our bodies are rebelling against us, and our hormones are pulling us ten ways from sunday, when we just don't feel like ourselves, that we remember the happiness dictum.  I have never taken such good care of my skin and hair as I have in this past year, and I have people tell me daily - and this is not hubris - that my skin and hair look great. They should. I've devoted the equivalent of a small nation's GNP to it! But I'm glad I have. I remember what my mother looked like when she was in FBM (Full blown menopause) and it isn't a happy memory.She was never one for taking care of her skin, washing it twice daily with some kind of cheap, on-sale, off brand bar soap. She wore her hair in a pseudo military crew, designed for ease and comfort. Her idea of exercise was walking out to the mailbox to get the mail. And it was - literally - a foot from our front door.

Today, we women want to look and feel our best no matter what age we are, whether we are in peri-menopause, FBM or beyond it. Seeing someone like Christie Brinkley, who is just seven years older than I am, look as good as she does, makes me want to continue taking care of myself, inside and out. While I will never be a vegetarian - I'm sorry, I like chicken and burgers too much! -I am all about taking care of myself. Exercising, eating as well as I can, keeping occupied and pursuing my passions, devoting time to my outward appearance as well and my inside soul, all these factors will go towards making me a happier woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crepey skin or Creepy skin?

The skinny on my neck

Unconventional Actions - Don't judge me!