A final word about the Moody Blues... and I don't mean the rock group!


I typed in the word Moody to my computer thesaurus and the following is an abbreviated listing of words pertaining to it that were listed: morose, sulky, sullen, glum,  grumpy, short-tempered, petulant, cross, brooding, grouchy, prickly, touchy, testy.

Say them quickly and they sound like they could be the names of characters in a menopause version of Snow White ( Grumpy, Moody, Grouchy, Prickly....you get the idea.)

So, we've discussed the mood swings and how to deal with them from the outside. But did you know that your body has chemicals swirling around inside of it that can help make you happy and get through this moody period? I wish I had known this during puberty!

I'm talking about ENDORPHINS. You've probably heard them mentioned somewhere in your lifetime, but do you know what they really are?  Endorphins are what are classified as neurotransmitters. These are chemicals that pass signals from one neuron to another in your body and originate from parts of your nervous system. Endorphins are produced in response to stimuli like stress or pain. They are basically known to help block pain, but they also play a role in how you feel pleasure.  Certain stimuli have been shown in clinical tests to increase the release of endorphins, thereby causing a euphoric feeling, or a sense of happiness and well being. You may have heard of a Runner's High, that feeling of exultation that long distance runners experience after a run. Personally, all I've ever felt after a long run is tired and in need of a Big Mac and fries, but many of the runners I know tell me that this state is actual. It occurs because the body dumps endorphins into the system in response to the prolonged period of physical stress on the body that running incurs. Meditation and Yoga has long been believed to trigger endorphins because of the sense of peace and joy that accompanies the practices in devotees. And really, have you ever seen a stressed-out Yogi? I even read one study that stated eating chocolate triggered endorphin receptors. In all reality, I think you just feel good when you eat chocolate because it tastes so damn good! But I'm not a scientist, just a chubby 53 three year old with hot flashes. 

So to sum it all up, the mood swings and generalized grumpiness that comes with menopause can be curtained externally and internally. This is good news. So the next time you eat a candy bar, or go for a run, or even a long walk, know that your body is actually helping you feel better in response to your actions.

Who knew??!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crepey skin or Creepy skin?

The skinny on my neck

Unconventional Actions - Don't judge me!